Applying for a Permit:
To apply for any permits from the Department of Public Works (DPW), go to our online permit application system (OpenGov).
You need a stormwater permit if you trigger any of the following parameters:
- Construction of any new dwelling or new dwelling replacing an existing dwelling in conformance with 2.16.22-2.16.25 inclusive of the Dracut Zoning Bylaws.
- Any land disturbances exceeding an area of 20,000 square feet
- Creation of new impervious surface area equal to or greater than 2,500 square feet in total, cumulative over a period of five years or less
- The addition of on-site redistribution of more than 500 cubic yards of earth materials including, but not limited to sand, gravel, stone, soil, loam, clay, sod, fill, and mineral products
- Reconstruction of public or private way
- Reconstruction or replacement of existing non-residential parking lots, including associated driveways, greater than 2,500 square feet
- Residential driveway
- Curb cuts
You need a trench permit if you are digging/excavating a trench in the public way.
Street Opening Permit:
You need a street opening permit for all major and minor projects in the public way:
- all pavement cuts in the existing roadway surface, both parallel cuts and crossings inclusive greater than 40’ will be charged at $8.00/Linear Foot
- all cuts, openings, or excavation in the shoulder or unpaved area of a public way greater than 40’ will be charged at $5.00/Linear Foot (may require survey verification of right of way)