I want to apply for an abatement. How can I do that?

You’ll need to fill out the abatement request form, available on our website and in our office at Town Hall. The request should be made within 30 days of the current bill to be considered for abatement. 

Please call the Kenwood Water Department, 978-957-0371, if you have any questions. 

Show All Answers

1. Who should I contact for Kenwood Water emergency services after regular business hours?
2. How often are water bills issued?
3. How can I pay my water bill?
4. I have questions about my bill. Who can help me?
5. I want to apply for an abatement. How can I do that?
6. I’m selling my house and need a final water reading. How can I get that?
7. I think something is wrong with my water meter. Can you replace it?
8. I think there is a leak in my water service. What should I do?
9. I heard Dracut Water customers have the option for an insurance policy to cover water service breaks. Why isn’t this offered for Kenwood Water customers?
10. Can I dig a trench in my lawn to access my water service?
11. I have low water pressure. Can you fix that?
12. I called DigSafe for a mark out, but sewer has not been marked. Why?