- WHEN IS A PERMIT REQUIRED?
Building permits are regulated by the Massachusetts State Building Code 780CMR, which is available on line at https://www.mass.gov/ma-state-building-code-780-cmr. In general, a permit is required to construct, reconstruct, alter, repair, remove or demolish a building or structure: or to change the use or occupancy of a building or structure.
- Ordinary repairs as defined in 780 CMR 2.
- Fences six feet in height or less.
- Retaining walls less than four feet high.
- One story detached sheds, playhouses, etc. less than 10’x12’. (Zoning By-Laws require front setbacks of at least 30’, and side and rear yard setbacks of at least 10’)
- REQUIRED PAPERWORK FOR BUILDING PERMIT.
- APPLICATION FORM. Filled out completely in ink.
- CERTIFIED PLOT PLAN.
- COMPLETE BUILDING PLANS (Normally three sets, 11X 17)
- ENERGY CODE per CHAPTER 13 Appendix J.
- ENGINEERING SPEC’S for LVLs, steel, etc.
- CONSTRUCTION SUPERVISOR’S LICENSE.
- HOME IMPROVEMENT CONTRACTOR’S REGISTRATION.
- WORKER’S COMP’ INSURANCE CERTIFICATE.
- DEBRIS AFFADAVIT.
- BUILDING CHECKLIST.
- OTHER INFORMATION AS REQUIRED.
- Recorded Special Permit from Planning Board.
- Recorded Special Permit or Variance or Finding from Zoning Board of Appeals.
- Signed Lot Release or Recorded ANR plan from Planning Board.
- Approved Site Plans from Planning Board.
A Building Permit application is a legal document, which must be filled out accurately and completely. The forms are available at the Town Hall 62 Arlington Street Dracut MA 01826.